Interesting Benefits Derivable From Eating Stockfish
Stockfish is a type of fish made from Codfish. It is highly consumed in many countries of the world such as Germany, UK, France, Italy, USA, Spain, Cameroon, and Nigeria. The fish is particularly consumed more in Nigeria such that it is called by different names in different dialects. The Igbos in Nigeria named it as “Okporoko” which means something that makes hard noise in the pot. “Panla” by the Yorubas while Calabar named it “Ekporoko” and it is also called “Stoccafisso” in most Italian dialects.
Codfish (Stockfish) are usually air or wind dried by fishermen on wooden racks in Norway before importing them to other places in the world. The drying process allows Cod to loss about 70- 80% of their moisture with the exception of all other nutrients.
Seafood are best meat for daily consumption from time to time. They are important foods since they provide high quality protein which can be gotten from dietary supplement, dairy products and other super foods. They help greatly in building healthy immune system in man, support blood circulation system, assist in proper weight management, and provide other nutritional functions needed by the body.
- Stockfish is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which is known to be beneficial for proper brain and nervous system function. Codfish has no fibre and carbohydrate content and the fresh codfish has about 72kcal of energy per100g.
- Codfish is high in Vitamin D, it serve as a great meal for children, since vitamin D has been proven to prevent rickets (bone weaknesses) in children or osteomalacia in adults and other symptoms of vitamin D deficiency.
- Codfish contains vitamin B12 and selenium which are helpful in preventing of colon cancer; this is made possible by not allowing toxic substances from other foods and cancer causing chemicals released by gut bacteria to come in contact with the colon cells.
- Stockfish is packed with vitamin, lean protein, calcium, iron, and is low in calories and fats; it is highly nutritious such that after it has been dried, the nutrients are still reserved in it even in more concentrated form rather than being removed.
- Contain Vitamins B6 and B12 which are both needed for lowering of homocyteine level, that is to say that the vitamins helps to keep your heart healthy by remove excess amino acid from it, and normalised the development of red blood cell.
- A diet rich in omega 3 fats found in cold water fish like Cod is known to reduce blood pressure and prevents excess fatty substances in the arteries and in turn lower cholesterol level in the blood.
- It is rich in Vitamin A and D. Vitamin A is an essential antioxidant that helps to lower oxidative stress and inflammation levels and in turn support healthy bone, proper night vision and cellular growth. While vitamin D is a fat soluble antioxidant that helps in calcium absorption, it also helps to maintain proper brain function.
- Stockfish has an anti-inflammatory property and omega-3 fatty acids which is helpful in improving cognitive function of the brain and aids in memory improvement.
- Codfish has the ability to keep one full or it has satiating ability since it has a thick flavourful flesh, it may help one to lose or gain weight while helping to limit the calorie intake for better weight management. Fresh or frozen codfish has less calories, it is healthier to prepare it by grilling, baking or poaching.