Scientists Discover Nasal Spray To Prevent Meningitis
- WHO Insists On Prompt Awareness Campaign
- Experts Reveal Natural Remedies To Meningitis Prevention
Following the outbreak of meningitis in the northern part of the country, which has claimed no fewer than 211 lives with a total of 1407 suspected cases reported from 40 local government areas (LGAs) in five states of Nigeria since December 2016, according to WHO reports, it is imperative to find a lasting solution to this recurrent outbreak in the north.
This is why the groundbreaking findings of British scientists became very relevant in the battle against Meningococcal disease, as they have found a new vaccine that could prevent the disease through simple nasal spray.
The findings published on Daily Mail Online suggested that it is effective against both meningitis B and septicaemia, the potentially fatal blood poisoning that often the winter, although it can strike at any time and mystery surrounds exactly how the disease is contracted. Doctors still do not know why some people catch it and others escape.
“We are very excited about the possibilities of developing a vaccine. We still have a long way to go, but the signs are very encouraging, “said Philip Kirby, chief executive of the Meningitis Trust charity.
In order to prevent the disease from spreading easily, the WHO has called for rapid response in raising awareness among the populace, urging stakeholders to embark on essential advocacy within four weeks of crossing the epidemic threshold.
Meanwhile, it is fundamental to know that meningitis is a condition that involves the development of inflammation in the membranes that protect the spinal cord and the brain. The condition is often the result of a viral infection and can spread rapidly, causing severe headaches and stiffness along the neck and the spine.
Other types of fungal and bacterial infections can also pave the way for developing this condition. Fortunately, there are several strategies that can help minimize the chances for developing meningitis, with most of these methods focusing on avoiding infections and seeking prompt treatment when an infection is present.
Hence, it is essential to list here the natural methods of preventing meningitis as published on WikiHow, which include:
- Maintain a strong immune system. This can be accomplished by getting a sufficient amount of restful sleep, eating a balanced diet and including exercise in your routine at least 3 or 4 times each week.
- Take some supplements. Vitamins like A, C, E and D are very helpful in maintaining good health and decreasing the possibility of developing inflammation around the brain and spinal cord. The B family of vitamins supports the immune system as well as the nervous system, making it even harder for meningitis to develop. Don’t forget fish oils and other sources of fatty acids that help decrease inflammation in general and serve as food for the immune system.
- Practice care when around people who already have meningitis. This is especially true if those individuals tend to sneeze of cough without covering their mouths and noses. If exposure is constant, consider wearing a face mask to protect yourself from the exposure.
- Kiss with care. Infections can be transmitted via kissing, along with other types of physical contact. Know who you are kissing and that the person is healthy and not likely to pass along harmful germs.
- Wash frequently. Get into the habit of washing your hands after working in the dirt, using the restroom or playing with pets. Preventing meningitis involves eliminating bacteria and germs that could be transferred from other substances to your skin and eventually find their way into the body.
- Keep your environment clean. Use a sanitizing agent to treat work surfaces, kitchen counters and other surfaces that people share to help reduce the chances of picking up some sort of infection that eventually leads to meningitis.
- Go for well done with your foods. Bacteria is sometimes found in meats that are prepared rare to medium well, increasing the chances of exposure. Learn to enjoy meats that are cooked thoroughly and at a higher temperature for a longer period of time.
- Get a vaccination. Immunization is one of the most effective strategies in preventing meningitis. Different formulas are in common use around the world. Your doctor can advise which vaccination is the best option, given your current state of health.
If you could adhere to these guidelines, it’s our candid opinion that meningitis and other related diseases would be far from you.