Zobo drink, known in many Nigerian homes is a very healthy drink, with several useful properties. Studies have found that it is not only capable of curing diseases but also effectively fights against excess weight.
The name is derived from the name of the parent plant called Zoborodo (in the Hausa language), Ghanaians refer to it as Zobolo, while Hibiscus sabdariffa is the scientific name of zobo.
Hibiscus sabdariffa is a species of Hibiscus probably native to West and East Africa and South-East Asia including Northeastern India.
The main essence of this plant are the leaves as mixing it with different grades, drink turns tasty, colourful, and pleasant. People believe that the Hibiscus has its own certain force.
A food coach in New York City and a M.S., certified dietician nutritionist, Dana James said while solids are obviously a major source of calories and fat, the liquids you take in can also affect the scale in a big way. She added that it’s so sneaky because it’s such a subtle effect and that is why people don’t evaluate what they drink in the same way, so they don’t realize how much they’re consuming.
“If you want to lose weight, you have to watch what you drink. So, if you want to reduce your body weight, you need to consume drinks that are calorie-free and that will boost your body metabolism”, she added.
According to scientific findings, the effectiveness of zobo drink for weight loss shows that fat metabolism was found to increase on the administration of Hibiscus extracts resulting in weight reduction.
How does this work?
Appetite regulator: Zobo drink helps in managing appetite effectively: An anonymous said whenever I take zobo drink in the morning, I find it hard to take any other food because I get so full. With this, you have just little appetite for food and this will make you eat less and lose some weight.
Powerful ingredients: Zobo drink contains some ingredients that are very nutritious for the health. The ginger, usually added to it is a powerful medicinal herb on its own and all the fruits (pineapple, orange, water, and watermelon) added are storehouses of powerful antioxidants, phytochemicals and vital nutrients needed for the optimum functioning of the human body.
Promotes diuresis: Zobo drink also acts as any substance that promotes diuresis, the increased production of urine. This gets rid of your body’s excess water and avoids excessive bloating. Hence, zobo drink can be used to maintain a flat tummy.
Immune booster: Zobo drink contains many substances that may protect your cells against free radicals, which may play a role in heart disease, cancer and other diseases. It also increases a person’s body metabolism and overall health. These antioxidants also help protect the body from free radicals, thus strengthening the immune system of the body.
Aids speedy recovery: Zobo and its compounds have been linked to many health benefits, including aiding digestion, boosting immunity and speeding up recovery from surgery, among others.
Nutritional components of Zobo
A study conducted by the American food engineering journal, published in scialert.net found that dark zobo drink contains Vitamin C (7.5 mg g-1), calcium (4 ppm) and ash (15.5 per cent) content, the bright red recorded a high value in only magnesium (13.25 ppm) and the wine however, recorded the highest value in sodium (50.67 ppm), potassium (235 ppm), iron (1.17 ppm) as its highest percentage component.
This simply means there is also magnesium, sodium, potassium and iron in zobo. Zobo’s drink pH is also pretty high. Which means zobo is actually very acidic with pH ranging from 2.5 to 2.7 regardless of the colour of the beverage.
Zobo can be seen to contain a high proportion of minerals and vitamin C. The nutrients it contains, such as magnesium and sodium, help to build strong bones in children.
How to make rich zobo
You will need:
- A large pot
- 3 cups of zobo leaves depending on how you want the quantity
- 8 cups of clean water
- 2 glasses of orange juice and dried peel of orange
- 1 glass of lemon juice and dried peel
- 2 tablespoons of konafuru
- 1 tablespoon of dried chili pepper (preferably)
- 1 tablespoon of powder of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of organic honey to add to taste
- 3 fresh gingers or two teaspoon of grinded ginger
- You can as well add watermelon, cucumbers, pine apple, apples and other fruits of your choice.
How to prepare
- Fill two cups with leaves of zobo, put them in a colander (kitchen utensil used to strain foods such as pasta or to rinse vegetables) and properly rinse with cold water.
- It is desirable to use a strong pressure of water. Take a carnation and grind into powder. Prepare other components. Clean citruses of a dried peel. As for ginger, clear skin and make a puree of it.
- Mix leaves of zobo and 6 cups of cold water in a pot. Put on fire. In addition, there are people who prefer to cook zobo leaves separately like tea and then to mix them with other ingredients.
- Taste of drink is more intensive when you allow leaves to mix up slowly with other components. The result is a very rich and dense juice. The strong heat also destroys aroma, as well as low temperature.
- It will take time, but results are worth it. When mixture begins to boil, take it from the fire. Also, add a few dry flakes of chili. One drink and you can try all fragrant spices getting through your flavoring receptors.
- When the mixture has been well-cooked, you bring it down from the fire, sieve it and re-boil them. After it has boiled again, sieve it and you can now throw them away.
- Allow the sieve to cool. When it has cooled, add the pineapple and orange juices to the zobo drink. You also add the diced fruits and stir well with a wooden stick or long spoon.
Congrats! Your rich zobo drink is ready to enjoy
- You can pour the drink into containers and store them in the fridge and take it regularly.
- You can take this drink without adding sugar, artificial sweeteners, and colourings. The pineapple and orange juices and the fruits added will sweeten it naturally.