What separates highly successful salespeople from others? What are the deepest core traits that highly successful salespeople possess that the wannabes don’t? How can salespeople elevate their sales success?
I often asked the above questions from salespeople during my sales training, tagged “Sell with Kindness”, and the answers I received often included:
While the above traits play some roles in sales success, they do not explain why two salespeople in the same company, selling the same products, with the same experience and the same training perform differently. One salesperson can sell five times higher than another. You see, courage, good personality, product knowledge, time management and hard work are the effects not the causes; they have more to do with who you are than what you know.
Below are 99 tips you can use to elevate your sales success. They are all simple, clear, practical and reliable. The more you use them effectively, the better result you will get.
1.Begin with your mindset: Highly successful salespeople think positively, talk positively and feel good 90% of the time. They expect things to work out well for them.
2.Highly successful salespeople set SMART sales goals. They know exactly what they are working towards.
Break down your sales goals into small daily steps and take daily actions on your plans.
- Review and update your sales results weekly. Find ways you can improve your performance in the coming week.
- Highly successful salespeople feel worthy of achieving higher sales goals. They have good self-esteem. Work on your self-esteem.
- Align your sales goals with your values. You deserve the best in life.
- Have a burning desire for higher sales goals. Be hungry for bigger and better sales success.
- Believe that your sales goals are within your reach. Act as if you’ve already achieve your desired outcome.
- Be fearless. Take action despite your fears or doubts.
- Be committed. Do what it takes to achieve your sales results.
- Tie your rewards with higher sales goals. Give yourself some appreciation for getting results.
- Be absolutely convinced that you create high value for your customers.
- Be in charge of your emotions.
- Follow up on your customers as soon as possible. Do not wait too long to ask them to buy from you.
- Don’t give up on your sales goals despite initial disappointments or failures.
- Keep growing your mind. Study books. Listen to audio materials. Practise what you learn.
- Stay positive. Be optimistic about your expected outcomes.
- Listen closely to your customers to gain rapport and trust.
- Understand who your customers are in terms of personality style and what they really want to achieve by asking the right questions.
- Always take a note during your sales meeting with your customers.
- Be your number one motivator. Pick up yourself again after missed sales or rejection.
- Dress up and show up. Always look good in front of your customers.
- Surround yourself with highly successful salespeople.
- Model the best salespeople in your company and industry.
- Be creative. Always think of better ways to do things.
- Focus your energy on prospects, not suspects.
- Work on your emotional intelligence. Be able to pick up customers’ body language.
- Do your home work. Know who you are dealing with.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for clarification or concerns from your customers.
- Help your fellow salespeople. You will reap what you sow.
- Use testimonials effectively to support your claim.
- Give guarantee to ease customer’s fears or doubts.
- Plan your presentation carefully and methodically.
- Focus your presentation on the benefits of your solution not features.
- Always be calm, relaxed and in charge of your sales meeting or presentation.
- Never ever get angry with your customer.
- Focus wholeheartedly on your customers’ needs or wants.
- Ask open-ended, indirect questions that draw out your customer needs, wants, problems or concerns.
- Be professional. Never be late for your appointment.
- Keep track of what works and what doesn’t work. Learn from your mistakes.
- Assure your customers that you want to help them get results.
- Always let your customers feel important and at ease.
- Show your customers how your products or services will solve their problems.
- Emphasise value over costs.
- Amaze your customers. Show them that you care about them.
- Work while you work. Rest while you rest. Create work-life balance.
To be continued……
ACTION PLAN: Study the above tips morning and night. Reflect on your sales attitude and performance at the end of the day and see how well you are applying your new philosophy, principles and practices. Apply your new knowledge repeatedly.
AFFIRMATION: I am a professional problem solver. I am a sales advisor. I am blessed and highly favoured.