In pursuance of an improved nursing care delivery and a continuous professional education for nurses, The Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN) has reviewed the requirements for renewal of professional nursing licences.
The council has directed that with effect from June 30th 2017, every nurse/midwife wishing to renew his or her licence shall provide evidence of completion of continuing education programmes equivalent to a minimum of 6.0 Continuing Education Units(CEU).
Some of the conditions read below:
Please note that:
1.Every Nurse or Midwife is expected to earn a minimum of 6.0 Continuing Education Unit (CEU) which is equivalent to 60 continuing education contact hours within each three-year cycle of licensure.
- The CEU can be acquired from any recognized and accredited N&MCN Continuing Professional Development Programmes.
iii. Three (3) units of these CEU i.e. 30 contact hours must mandatorily be from the Council organized MCPDP.
- Conference certificates from International Confederation of Nurses (ICN), International Confederation of Midwives (ICM), National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives (NANNM) and West African College Nigeria (WACN) – AGM/BGM that shows the credit unit earned will be recognized as stated but not more than 3 units.
- Other recognized Nursing conferences, workshops and seminars by Nursing specialties and sub specialties that are recognized by NMCN will earn a maximum of 2 units.
- Foreign based Nurses requesting for renewal of licensing should present the following:
– Driver’s license or state identity card or visa page
– Evidence of attendance of cumulative 60 contact hours of Continuing Education Programme in their country of residence over a period of 3 years
vii. Registered Nurses and Midwives currently undergoing full time Nursing programme are exempted from MCPDP until completion of their programme.
viii. Fresh graduates of any accredited Nursing programmes are also exempted within one year of graduation. Please ensure that this information is disseminated to all nurses and midwives in the State for maximum compliance.
Mrs. A. G. Yusuf
for: Secretary General/ Registrar